Temperature control is one of the most crucial elements for producing a good quality beer. It needs to be regulated and stable throughout the whole fermentation process to ensure the yeast doesn't get stressed and ferments correctly to get the right flavour profile.
To be able to cool with the Grainfather Conical Fermenter, you need to have the Conical Fermenter Temperature Controller. Then once your target temperature is below the temperature of the wort in your fermenter the Cooling Pump Kit pumps ice cold water through the double walled insulated interior to cool down your wort.
Simply connect the couplers and insulated hoses to the Conical Fermenter, submerge the submersible pump into a cooler box with water (add ice for your required temperature) and pump the liquid through the insulated cooling sleeve of the Conical Fermenter body.
- Conical Fermenter Cooling Pump (submersible)
- T-section power connector
- 2 x brass couplers
- Find a suitable container to put the submersible pump into,preferably a cooler box. Place the pump upright in the cooler box.
- Take the threaded section of the self-sealing coupler and connect it to one side of the Grainfather Conical Fermenter. Make sure it is screwed in tightly. Use a spanner if necessary.
- Connect the other end of the self-sealing coupler to the section you just used by pushing the spring-loaded sleeve back and sliding it over.
- Repeat these steps on the other side of the fermenter.
- Now connect the cooling hoses to the pump. The cooling hose (blue) connects to the lower side on the fermenter and to the barbed piece in the top of the pump.
- The return hose (red) connects to the higher side on the fermenter. This can just drain back into the cooler box.
- Fill the cooler box with ice and water.
- Connect the 2 meter power cable to the back of the fermenter, the other side of this connects to the power adapter supplied with the conical fermenter.
- Connect the cable from the pump to the T-piece connector.
- Plug the unit into a power socket and turn on the power.
- Everything is now set-up. To start cooling, follow the instructions on the fermenter controller manual.
NOTE: Always remember to make sure there is enough ice in the cooler box to sufficiently keep the fermenter cool.
Click here for the video on using the Cooling Pump Kit on your Conical Fermenter.